Saturday, June 5, 2010

David Copperfield

One week ago this afternoon, Soona, Sue, Matt, Gina, Ben, and I were in a Korean Restaurant on the strip in Las Vegas (see bottom picture). The kids said they were interested in going to a show that afternoon. They were going to head back to our room and check the internet for shows. I said I was going to go across the street to the shark exhibition at Mandolay Bay. As I was heading down the street, I came to a "half price" place called Tix 4 Tonight. I asked if they had any good shows that afternoon and I was told that tickets were available for a matinee performance by David Copperfield. I had tried to catch one of his shows in different parts of the country in prior years, but he was always sold-out or the tickets were beyond my price range. I called-up the family and asked if they were interested; they said "Yes!" We sat right at entrance level, which is in the middle of the theatre. Our table (see top picture)was left of center in front of a box that measured approximately 3' x 3' x 4'. I checked-out the box thinking it might be part of an illusion where Mr. Copperfield might appear during the show, but all it seemed to be was a box holding some speakers in it. I can't even begin to relate all the amazing things he did and showed. I write this entry to mention three things. First, he did disappear from stage and reappear, within seconds, standing on the box three feet behind our table. I should have been more vigilant in watching that box. Second, he came out into the audience and chose Gina to accompany him to the side of the theatre where he took a piece of paper, levitated it while it folded itself into a paper rose, and then transformed into a real rose which he gave to Gina. Then Gina kissed him on the cheek. Everyone was applauding. Third, for the final illusion of the show, he chose several individuals, including myself, to come onto the stage and have a seat on a platform. He proceeded to have us all disappear at once! We all materialized in the back of the theatre. We were then taken to a place where an assistant showed us a video of what the audience was seeing while we disappeared. Then Mr. Copperfield came and greeted us and asked us not to divulge the illusion to anyone. We were all given an autographed picture of Mr. Copperfield. I can't describe how excited I was to attend and participate in this show! I'm glad the kids wanted to go to an afternoon show. I didn't even know that David Copperfield was in Las Vegas. This was at the MGM.

No comments: