Wednesday, July 2, 2014

3 Gifts Read


Three Gifts Read 
     
     The following three gifts read have given me tremendous joy, insight, and guidance.  The Bible, the Book of Mormon, and the Pearl of Great Price have all been a blessing in my life.  The Word of God is indeed an iron rod.



     My Grandmother Walker first gave me a young people’s edition of the Bible prior to entering into 6th grade.  I tried to read it starting from the beginning, but I must confess that I gave-up prior to finishing the five books of Moses.  It wasn’t until I was married that I became interested in reading the Bible again, thanks to the good example of a Christian man named Howard Askwith.  He gave my wife and me a Gideon Bible in 1978.  Later that August, my wife gave me a copy of a Collin’s Red-letter edition of the Bible.  I read, studied, and pondered the New Testament at length.

     One evening I again started reading the New Testament from the beginning; I only made it as far as Matthew 7:7.  As I contemplated this passage, I felt that if I asked God if what I was reading was true, He had to answer me.  I gave a most sincere prayer – pleading for an answer.  Soon after, two Elders from the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints knocked on my door.  They gifted me a Book of Mormon, another testament of Jesus Christ.
 
     I was eventually baptized and was given a copy of the Pearl of Great Price.  The plan of salvation, the good news, and daily guidance in living our lives are contained in these books!  I testify that as I hold to the iron rod, I am capable of much more than I can imagine.  Joy in this life and eternal joy in the life to come!

No comments: